Wednesday, March 14, 2007
free to make mistakes
I attended an aerobics session the other night.:-)I was terrible. I felt like my knee and hip bones were disoriented! When others turned right, I turned the opposite direction. While most didn't have difficulty in following the instructor, I found myself catching up my breath, realizing I was left behind by a count or two most of the times! I was making mistakes - but totally laughing my heart out; enjoying the moment of learning, admitting my limitations, and being free to make mistakes without being judged!

It reminded me of my days in Cebu where I loved joining aerobics/taebo sessions at Cebu City Sports Center. It was something I used to dread though. I just wanted to walk around. About six years ago, my friend Jennifer Skelton-Pope asked me to join her in one aerobics session (she was also just trying that time). I was so hesitant because I wasn't sure if I would do it right. But I looked at the people who joined the session - and they were all going in different directions! That gave me confidence to join. Haha! And there, I realized it was okay. I didn't have to perfom well to please myself or anyone. I didn't have to pass some kind of standard. We were all learning together.

So I began to like it and look forward to it. Exercise became more fun. When I join aerobics/taebo, I enjoy so much sense of freedom and fun! The other person beside you won't mind if you can't bend your body well, or if you can't seem to lift your butt. Everyone just moves on. It is quite tiring and could painfully be stretching to your body (if you're new), but the ordeal becomes easier and fun because no one picks up on you. The instructor will tell you to keep trying, to stretch some more, to keep up with the beat, etc. But if you can't, you are free to stop, pick up your towel and laugh about it.
 
posted by MercifulRain at 10:20 PM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    wow! way to go!!! =)

    the most interesting thing in joining a class like aerobics or taebo or even pilates, is that nobody would make fun of you, except yourself =), because everybody's too preoccupied catching up with the steps.

    laughing, learning and working out is the best thing.

    keep it up. =)

    i'm breaking my bones and trying to be a Gumby doing my Pilates. haha. =)

     
  • At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    oh i just changed my layout too. heheh. played around with a dormant template. =)

     
  • At 4:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    haha. you're absolutely correct, april. everyone's too preoccupied catching up with the steps. it's really fun!

    saw your new web layout. i like it!

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    thanks much =)

    yes, i can. it works just like a normal counter. i still am yet to figure out if other people can see it too. =)

    how does yours work? i'm just using this counter temporarily. i'm looking for something more cool. lol.

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    oh yeah, it's fun. i only do my pilates on my own because i don't want everybody to see me pant and bite my lips and cuss out loud. lol.

     
  • At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    good to you noh...at least u can have you butt moves. hehehe keep going and am sure....u can.